Monday, June 14, 2010

Never Alone

Friendship. That is what I want to talk about today.

"Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down."

During the last few weeks, I have intentionally started distancing myself from people. And I say "people" because I'm trying to divide them into groups. It might sound rude, or even discourteous, but I have decided that I need to do this for me. I need to figure out who is truly a good friend. To find out who is willing to break down these walls that I've formed to reach out, to understand and to ultimately prove to me that they want to be a part of not only my present, but also my future.

At age twenty, I've come to the conclusion that most people in your life will only be there for a short period of time. However, I truly believe that every single being that you come in to contact with has a purpose and will influence who you are as a person for the rest of your life. I could go on for hours about past relationships I've had and explain reasons why I believe those people were in my life and how they have impacted me, but that's not relevant right now.

Never alone
I'll be in every beat of your heart
When you face the unknown
Wherever you fly
This isn't goodbye
My love will follow you stay with you
Baby you're never alone

-Lady Antebellum

That song has so much meaning and truth behind it. It explains that it doesn't matter the distance, no matter where you go in life, whether it is physically moving or emotionally changing, that a true friend will always be there.

So, to me, true friendship isn't about how often you talk or how often you see each other. True friendship is to know that when you are at your best, that other person will thrive with you, they will smile and laugh and enjoy every moment of this beautiful life with you. And when you are at your absolute worst, this person will be there to comfort you when you need a hug, to weep with you when you are sad, to guide you when you're lost and don't know where to go, to not judge you for your faults and to be there for you, always, with no intention of receiving anything out of it, because they want to and because they love you.

I have been blessed to have a few of those, and I know how lucky I am because not everyone can say that. I am also very grateful to be able to include my brothers and my parents in that list as well.

I'm starting to learn the people who are willing to break down these walls that I've so deliberately put up, and I'm so thankful for those people. And the ones that aren't willing, I have learned that it's OK. People will come and go in your life. You will hurt for those losses, you might not understand why, but you just have to accept the fact that God put every single person in your life for a reason. To help mold you, shape you and guide you to be the person you are meant to be and ultimately be a contributor to your purpose in life. So, remember, no matter how lonesome you might feel, when you have a true friend, you are never, ever alone.

And lastly, I want to dedicate this post to the two best friends that I could ever possibly have, Jessica and Melissa. You girls have shown me that this idea of true friendship is possible and absolutely wonderful, and I am so blessed to have you two a part of my life. I'm not sure what I did to deserve not one, but two extremely amazing people to be that true friend, that undeniably, incredible best friend. I love you both more than you could ever possibly imagine!

-Happy 21st Birthday Melissa! I hope you have the most amazing day today and I'm so thankful to be able to share these memories with you!


Forever filled with love,

Jenn ♥

2 comments:

  1. BRAT YOU MADE ME CRY... you're so sweet.
    Longer comments later. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUUUUU!!!!!!!! Never alone <3

    ReplyDelete