Friday, June 25, 2010

The Beauty of Words

Words are astonishing. I mean, if you think about it, where would we be without them?

Being the aspiring writer that I am, I've grown to absolutely love words, the different meanings and how they can be used to hurt, heal, help, lift-up, destroy or even mend every single being in this world. If you haven't noticed, I have used a lyric from a song, or a quote in almost every post. I do this because I like to elaborate on different sayings and words that I hear, and explain to everyone how I interpret it, and what it means to me.

Why do people love music? Some like it because of the melody, or because of the talent it takes to sing. Now, why do I love music? I love words and lyrics. I love how someone can use words to make up a song and have it apply to so many different people, in so many different ways. It's amazing to me how one lyric can have so many different meanings. Maybe that's why I despise rap music so much. I don't like to dance, so that reason to like it is gone. And the lyrics, to me, are ridiculous and absurd and ultimately don't have much importance or meaning (I don't want to offend anyone, but it's just my opinion). That's why I love country music and Dave Matthews Band. Both of which, have lyrics that are so powerful and consequential, and not to mention, the music behind it is amazing. Music helps so many people. And I like to believe it's because of the lyrics.

Have you ever noticed that, almost always, reading the book is better than the movie? Why is this? It's because, in books, people are given the ability to use their imagination to interpret the words how they want to. While, in movies, it is someone else who uses their thoughts and point-of-view to create something for everyone else to see with their eyes, instead of their mind. Your mind has a way of envisioning words, and you are able to construe what you believe is happening.

So, back to my question about where we would be without words... Think of Hitler, and how he used words to destroy and hurt. Or, how about Ghandi, or Martin Luther King, Jr., and how they used words to heal, lift-up and give hope to so many people. Where would our country be, in terms of Civil Rights, if Martin Luther King, Jr. didn't use his words, and freedom of expression and speech to move and motivate people to make a change? And Hitler, with all the terrible things he did, just by using words, to completely over-take and devastate millions of people. Who knows what our world would be like if people didn't use their power and freedom to express themselves. I have come to the conclusion that we, as a society, would have gone absolutely nowhere without them.

I have always been a person of expressing exactly how I feel, to anyone and everyone. I can't find a reason to hide my feelings inside, to keep them bottled up and not use my God-given ability to communicate. I think that is something that is very obvious to everyone who knows me, or meets me. That is one of the main reasons why I decided to start a blog. Everyone asked me why I don't just write a journal, or a diary. Well, here's why: if God gave me the ability to express, through communication, using words, all of my feelings, why in the world would I hide that? Why would I keep that from everyone when I don't really care who reads this, or what people might think of it or me? Everything that I want to say to someone, or that I might write on here, I would have no problem telling them in person. Writing gives me the ability to express myself in a way that gives me pure joy and happiness. It's an outlet for me, a way for me to use words to explain to people all the crazy thoughts that run through my mind daily.

So, there are many different ways to use words, whether its through music, speaking or, in my case, writing, to express to different people how you feel. I have a lot of work to do and, over time, my vocabulary will expand. I will become a better writer and I will continue to learn more and more. But, if I can reach out and help one, just one person, through my words and writing, and ultimately make a difference in just one person's life, that's all I could ever ask for. I don't want to change the world, although I'd love to try. I don't want to hurt, offend, or destroy anything or anyone through my use of words. All I want to do is use the skills I was given, by my wonderful God, to express how I feel, using the beauty of words, and have people respect me for and appreciate what I absolutely love to do.

Thank you, for your love and support,
Jenn


This is a song by Dave Matthews Band called "The Space Between." It's just an example of a song that has so much meaning to me and how the use of words and lyrics can explain so much and release an emotion of gratitude and the ability to accept, let go and move on. Feel free to interpret it how you'd like, but to me, this song is for my Grandma Doll.

In memory of my Grandma Doll. Rest in Peace. I will love you always. -March 25, 2009-



No comments:

Post a Comment