Saturday, June 19, 2010

Daddy's Little Girl

Twenty years, six months, and eighteen days ago, I came into this world. I came into this world screaming, crying and hungry just like every other newborn. I was then washed and weighed and bundled up in a soft, pink blanket. However, the difference between me and every other newborn baby girl in this world, I was then placed in the hands of the man who I could never have imagined would turn into the most astonishing and incredible daddy any little girl could ever want or need.

Every year, once a year on the third Sunday in June, everyone celebrates all the father's in the world. They celebrate their hard work, their commitment and love to their children and their dedication to being the man in the family. The whole world celebrates all these wonderful men in our lives. But not me, I celebrate my daddy.

"Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a daddy."

We have never had the typical father-daughter relationship. From normal things like playing catch in the front yard, to arguing over my curfew and grades, to all the fun trips we've gone on, my daddy and I have always shared this unexplainable, remarkably close relationship. I could talk for hours, maybe even days about all the wonderful experiences we've shared, but I don't have time for all of that.

I have never known someone who is so willing to put their own happiness aside for no other reason than to make me happy. And for someone to work so hard, for no other reason than to let me and my brothers' grow up in a beautiful home, and to have anything in this world that we could ever want. He gave me everything I could ever need in life, even if sometimes that meant saying "no."

He has not only been the most wonderful daddy to me, but to my brothers' as well. He has always been there for us, through every up and down in our life. And he has always been the most amazing husband to my mom. I feel bad for my future husband, though, because he has a lot to live up to. Let's just say I absolutely refuse to settle for anything less than what my daddy has been to all of us.

From sitting on bleacher's in 90 degree weather watching a baseball game, to me laying in a hospital bed, in so much pain, and him sitting right next to me, refusing to leave my side. From sitting at lunch and talking for hours about our lives, to sitting in my room and me having to tell him how unhappy, depressed and lonely I am and how I want to move half-way across the country. From everything that we've gone through in life, and through all the negatives and positives, he has proved to me that he will support me in any decision I make, he will be there through every sickness, he will gladly enjoy all those fun experiences with me, no matter what it is that we do, and he will always, always, be my daddy.

I have learned so much from him. So many life lessons that I will be able to carry with me for the rest of my life, and hopefully be able to share with my children one day. I have learned the importance of hard work. I have learned the significance of honesty and truth. I have learned that unconditional love and comfort isn't something we should take for granted, because not everyone is fortunate enough to possess that on a daily basis. But, most importantly, I have learned that it is the greatest feeling in the world, to wake up every morning with the knowledge that I have been and always be my daddy's little girl.

This is for you, daddy. I hope you know how much you mean to me. I want you to know how grateful I am for everything you've done for me in these past twenty years. And I want you to know that no matter how old I am, and even though I might not fit in your lap anymore, I will always be your baby girl and I will make sure my future husband knows that you loved me first! Happy Daddy's Day! I love you!

Jenn


1 comment: